Give a Meal This Holiday Season
What is food insecurity? The government uses this term broadly to refer to hunger and the coping mechanisms that households use to avoid going hungry. According to FeedingAmerica.org, in 2013, 49.1 million Americans lived in food insecure households, including 33.3 million adults and 15.8 million children. Research shows that food insecurity tends to be episodic and often cyclical.
During this holiday season, you can help break the cycle of food insecure households and help put meals on tables by simply filling your prescriptions.
Watertree Health® and 15 regional Food Banks have a one-of-a-kind program that helps people save money on prescription costs while providing more meals in their local communities. Through this program, Watertree Health makes a donation to your local Food Bank for every prescription discounted using the FREE Prescription Discount Card benefitting that organization. (See list below).
The foundation of this partnership is the mutually held belief that no one should have to choose between vital medications and basic necessities such as food. This holiday season, we encourage you to help feed your local community with two simple steps: First, use your Prescription Discount Card benefitting your local Food Bank to help make a donation every time you save on your medicines. In some regions, filling as few as 4 prescriptions equals three meals. Secondly, take a look through your pantry for canned and dry goods to donate–even a few items can make a difference. To find your local Food Bank, click here.
Here are some relevant facts:
- According to DoSomething.org, more than 1 in 5 children is at risk of hunger. Among African-Americans and Latinos, it’s 1 in 3.
- Center for American Progress reports, “Food insecurity and hunger…harm the U.S. economy, hinder educational advancement, and increase health care spending.”
You can help your local Food Bank provide meals and get significant savings on your prescriptions, by going to the web address noted below and downloading a card or having one mailed, emailed or texted to you.
- FIND Food Bank (Indio, CA)
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County (CA)
- Second Harvest Food Bank of New Orleans & Acadiana (LA)
- Community Food Bank of New Jersey (NJ)
- Roadrunner Food Bank of New Mexico (NM)
- Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma (Oklahoma City, OK)
- Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma (Tulsa, OK)
- Food Bank of Corpus Christi (TX)
- El Pasoans Fighting Hunger Food Bank (El Paso, TX)
- Houston Food Bank (TX)
- North Texas Food Bank (Dallas, TX)
- Food Bank of the Rio Grand Valley (Pharr, TX)
- South Texas Food Bank (Laredo, TX)
- Food Bank of West Central Texas (Abilene, TX)
- Wichita Falls Area Food Bank (TX)
Instructions and Disclaimer: The content on this website is designed for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat any health problems or illnesses. Always consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you might have regarding your health.
Get your Prescription Discount Card now and start saving up to 75% on the medications you use every day!